Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hopeful... or Chimeric?

I learned a new word today! I could pretend that I heard it used in conversation and thought, "That word is fabulous!" or that I came across it while reading a deeply insightful book, but the truth is, I looked up synonyms for "idealistic" on thesaurus.com (not nearly as glamorous, eh?) ; ) Regardless, I do enjoy the word... chimeric. It means "unreal, imaginary, highly unrealistic, and wildly fanciful."

So, I'm just wondering if my New Year's thoughts are hopeful or chimeric. Let me explain.

Now that I'm committed to joining the blogging world, I have started to feel a bit more bold in posting comments on other blogs. Quite bold, in fact. While perusing Donald Miller's blog (see www.donmilleris.com for his post entitled "Living a Good Story, an Alternative to New Years Resolutions"), one of my favorite and most though-provoking, albeit sometimes controversial author, I was so inspired by his post that I decided I'd leave a comment. I said something along the lines of "very inspirational! thanks for the reminder! this aspiring author is inspired... yada, yada."

I was inspired, but the part that seemed a bit "chimeric" is how it played out in my mind from there. I shared this with my husband and we both got a good laugh out of it.
Step 1: Amanda posts comment on Don's blog
Step 2: Don reads and approves Amanda's comment
Step 3: Don, in all his spare time, reads Amanda's first 2 blog posts
Step 4: Don sees the potential in Amanda's writing and becomes a follower of her blog

months to years pass...

Step 5: Don asks Amanda to co-write a book with him

OK... now that you've all had a good laugh with me, I am truly feeling very hopeful this year. Hopeful for the "narrative story" of my life and what 2010 will hold. I'm feeling like this might be the year for some passions to align and fall into place in a great and new way. Granted, a book deal co-authored with Donald Miller may not be a part of that, but I am not discouraged. In fact, I'm greatly encouraged. I'm pursuing my dream to write via this very blog and am feeling excited about the platform with which to get my thoughts out there. I'm reading books that are challenging me to grow and learn in areas that I have long been passionate about. I'm having some of the greatest conversations with some of the most FABULOUS friends I could ever imagine about life and the balance between contentment and restlessness. I'm appreciating the simple things and striving to keep life less busy than last year. I'm feeling motivated by my New Year's goals and the way they fit into and seem to fall in line with my own "life story" (more on that in the next post). Ah, friends, 2010 is truly off to a great start!

So, perhaps you think I was a bit chimeric in my thinking. Maybe just a tad on the ridiculous side. But, on the other hand... perhaps it takes a little of that mixed with hope to accomplish something truly great. Here's to unrealistic dreams in 2010 and the hope it takes to see them come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment