Wednesday, February 15, 2012

So Much More

"Hello... this is the Ussher's phone.  Can I help you?"

(pause)Oh, um, yes!  I was just hoping to catch Jamie.

"Ah. Yes.  Clint and Jamie are out to lunch.  I am sitting with Evee and Iris.  I expect them back in half an hour.  Whom shall I tell them called?" 

Oh!  This is Amanda.

"Very well.  Are you calling from the States?"

Yes...
~~~

Because what do you say to the sweet woman on the other end of the telephone.  The one who is halfway around the world, watching two little sweet girls who mean so much to you?

A million and one thoughts raced through my mind.

I could have said, "OH!  That's so wonderful!  I know you have no idea who I am, but thank you for sitting with Evee and Iris so that Clint and Jamie can get some time out.  That is so important."

Or, how about...
"Please give sweet Iris a big kiss and hug.  And, if you don't mind, could you put Evee on the phone?  I'd love to tell her how often Maddie (that's my daughter) has asked me to point out New Zealand on a globe because she wants to remember again where she lives now.  And I'd LOVE to hear that cute little British accent that she has already picked up."

Or, how about...
"That's great!  What are you all doing right now?  Because Evee seems to enjoy playing dress up and pretending she's a princess or a fairy.  That's how she and Maddie spent their days when they were here with us for two weeks before starting their journey in New Zealand.  They are very dear friends of ours."

Or even...
"I truly appreciate you and your involvement in their lives so far.  I hope you become a dear friend to Jamie and that the two of you can have many encouraging conversations.  Maybe we'll meet someday and I too can sit and have conversations with you!  But, until then, thanks again for being so involved and willing to watch their girls.  I hope it brings joy to your heart to be with Evee and Iris... because they are amazing little ladies.  You do know that, right?"

But instead, I stuck with...
"Thank you."

I HOPE she realized through those two simple words, how her voice when she answered the phone unexpectedly had brought me great peace.  Peace in knowing that they are there, settling in, making connections and community, already allowing themselves to be known, while unknowingly affecting and drawing others into the love and peace they live so well.  

Peace in knowing that God provides.  Everywhere and anywhere.  Always.

And I HOPE she sensed the love, respect and deep appreciation I already had for her... this woman I'd never met, 18 hours away, already living her Thursday, while I'm closing out my Wednesday.

Yes.  Sometimes a "thank you" is full of so much more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Tears. Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed to read tonight. You seem to have faith for me in your words...

    ReplyDelete